Monday, November 14, 2011

The Forest Protectors



My little people and I went out into a field of trees in search of some treasures today.  As we looked around under leaves and behind rocks, I noticed Owen inspecting the base of several trees.  Just as I was about to ask what he was looking for he said, "Look at that.  You think a forest protector could live there?"

A forest protector?  Now, we have read our share of Elsa Beskow around here.  We know about forest people, root children, and all sorts of other fairies, elves and gnomes from various tales, but forest protectors?  This one just left me there scratching my head.   Seeing me so thoroughly confused he explained,  "You know they speak for the trees."
Oh! Yes!

"Mister!", he said with a sawdusty sneeze,
"I am the Lorax, I speak for the trees.
I speak for the trees, for the trees have no tongues
,
And I'm asking you, sir, at the top of my lungs" –
He was very upset as he shouted and puffed –
"What's that THING you've made out of my Truffula tuft?"


So today we built a place for a forest protector to stop and rest while he was traveling about doing the very busy work of speaking for the trees.

2 comments:

  1. So adorable. This is my favorite thing about our babies, they play pretend!! Jaime you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! That's really nice. One of the very best parts about their pretend play is that we get to play along too. I love that!

    ReplyDelete