Monday, May 2, 2011

On a particularly rainy afternoon, and we have had many of them lately ( over 13 inches of rain in the last month), the kids and I were trying to come up with some lunch and dinner ideas. I love Cynthia Lair's book, Feeding the Whole Family, so I turned on the computer and put her name and book title into the search bar to see what we could find. What we found was us sitting in front of the computer for the next hour watching videos from her website called Cookus Interruptus. Yes, my children sat on my lap and watched cooking videos. And loved it! Then after we watched all we could watch inspiration overtook us. We went out to the greenhouse to pull some vegetables and spices and immediately began our lunch preparation, Rosemary Red Soup.

Addie pretested some of the carrots for us to make sure they were okay for the soup. They were. We threw it all in a pot, let it cook for awhile, and then sat down to a nice lunch that we had all helped make. And I really believe it's those sweet helping hands that make it taste so much better and not just to me either. Owen and Carmel sat down to eat knowing that they had made a considerable contribution to our lunch and so, lunch seemed to pass more peacefully. Carmel did have one critique though, she thought we should have made the soup more red or in her own words, " I want dat soup mo RED!". So next time, more beets. Until then, amidst all this rain, I am thinking on this recipe a bit. I'll let you know if I make it.

1 comment:

  1. You're eating a rainbow! And so fitting with all this rain.

    ReplyDelete