Saturday, July 31, 2010

Counting Beans

Waking up in the morning, my rested mind begins to fill with a long list of chores that should be done. I can feel the space filling like a bucket under a running tap. Soon I begin to shift my thinking to believe that washing and folding the laundry, doing the dishes and cleaning up the dog hair off of the floor are chores that have to be done rather than things that should or could be done. Throughout the morning it all begins to feel urgent somehow as I try to plan my paces around the house. Okay, run to the bathroom first (Yes, even a quick trip to the bathroom gets thrown in the plan. Please please tell me that my other friends with little ones do the same. Come on, don't ya?), then put the laundry in because I can be washing up the dishes and cleaning up the kitchen while the washer is going and then I can........and so it goes. Then I look through the kitchen window to see outside under the shade of our big maple, my two sweetest people counting and sorting beans. Taking a deep breath here I ask myself, what is really important? After a long pause I decide that all of these other things that seem so important aren't really important at all. I'll get to them. It all gets done somehow. Eventually. Maybe not this morning or even today, but eventually.
Because really, sometimes you just have to go count beans.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment