Friday, May 22, 2009

A most frightening pattern

After having searched for small gardening gloves for Owen with no luck, I decided I would just sew a pair for him.  How hard could it be?  A little pair of gloves.  It will only take me a minute, right?  HA!  
I tried to use the Heather Ross pattern found in Weekend Sewing (I really love this book!) but I just couldn't get it to work out with his tiny little hands.  I probably tried it about 6 different times varying finger width, hand width, length--anything, but I just couldn't work it out.  I haven't given up on the pattern entirely yet.  I think I may try some for myself and see how it works out.  It is available here as a free pattern, but for all my sewing friends I certainly recommend her book.  It's dreamy.
I ended up taking a pair of regular children's gardening gloves, all of which are too big for a three year old, and scaled down the size to fit smaller hands (pictured above).  

The results:
Well now, I just adore the results especially since it's all matchy matchy with his little gardening bag (it's a sickness, I know).  I am happy to share the pattern if any of you feel inclined to spend entirely too long stitching up some tiny gloves that you could just buy here.  In fact, I'm sort of wishing I would have found those sooner, but I guess then it would be all un-matchy and I'm not sure I could live with that.  Oh heavens no.

And so with some new gloves to work with, we're off to weed out some thistle.  Have a happy weekend everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment