Monday, February 23, 2009

Fresh outlook, clean floors

I finally caved today and decided it was time to wash the floors. There was no more putting it off. It HAD to be done. Like so many other things in my daily life, scrubbing our floors is one of those things I never really look forward to doing but I always feel so happy I did it when it's all done (exercise is another one of those things that comes to mind, but I've really given up on that all together).
So I was scrubbing away with a little Carmel tied on my back when Owen came downstairs and decided I needed some help. What a difference those little hands can make on a project. Did it take me three times longer to finish the floors with his help? Yes, but the outlook he brings to scrubbing the floors is well worth it.
He was so happy to be sloshing water around all over the floor. His little eyes were bright and shiny and he had the sweetest smile on his face while he was wringing the water out of his towel. He was so taken in by the details. The warm water. The smell of peppermint (Dr. Bronners soap). The water hitting the floor and then puddling together. I couldn't help but think I've been missing all the fun. Now I'm not just talking about scrubbing the floors nor am I saying that scrubbing floors is all fun, but watching my sweet boy enjoy himself so thoroughly while doing it made me wonder. How many things in my day do I view as drudgery that his fresh eyes might see as pure pleasure? Hard to say, but I think I should pay more attention.
*Edited to add:
If I implied that I scrub my floors everyday I didn't mean to. So, just for the record, I don't.

3 comments:

  1. You're such a wonderful mother Jaime. Owen and Carmel are blessed to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Has anyone ever told you that besides being a super cool mom you are also an excellent photographer? You make every day tasks, such as cleaning the floor, look so magical. Seriously! Good photos!

    Oh yes and I like the product placement Jaime ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia - Thank you. That is very sweet of you to say.

    Elaine - Thank you so much for the comment on my photos. That sure means a lot to me coming from you.

    ReplyDelete