Monday, October 31, 2011

Smashing, Saving and Sewing

Smashing: Eggshells.

I thrifted this mortar and pestal a little while back thinking it would be something Carmel would really enjoy working with.  I had seen one not long ago in a Montessori classroom laid out so beautifully on a small wooden tray with one bright white eggshell inside.  I was struck by what a simple, satisfying and meditative activity it was.  An egg.  Something we are normally so careful not to break, but here we can throw this on a tray with a mortar and pestal and essentially say," Don't be careful with this; pulverize it!"  That is fun.
Owen thought so too.  He worked on it with one hand and then two.  He stood above it and worked and then laid down next to it and worked.  He held it down with his hands and then held it with his feet.  He worked that egg over until it finally turned to dust.  
 It's such a pleasure to watch these little hands and minds at work.  I have been finding so much inspiration online lately for creating new learning opportunities for my little people.  Right now I am really enjoying what's on One Hook Wonder and Living Montessori Now.  They do a Montessori Monday post and I love going through it to see what sorts of things my babes might like to do.

Montessori?  Waldorf?  Oh my, lots to think about there.

Saving: Luffa Seeds

We aren't too sure how our seed saving is going to turn out here for our Luffa sponge.  Andy and the kids pulled the seeds before our first big frost but the seeds don't seem to be mature.  Apparently they need a really long growing season (140-200 days), which we didn't give them.  I would like to say that had we known they needed a long season we would have planted them earlier, but we wouldn't have.  We do, however, have at least one really great luffa sponge to play with in the bathtub.


Sewing:  Cape for an Aspiring Dentist Superhero


Cut, sewn and given away.  I feel a little bit sad that it's gone because I had really grown to like this cape.  Now I realize that aprons are historically the acceptable attire for the workin'-around-the-house-mama, but I think I would like to go with a cape from here on out.  I believe little would do more to wake me up in the morning, get me moving, and really signify the importance of the work that lays ahead of me than throwing on a nice cape.   Yeah, I'm pretty sure that parents need capes.

1 comment:

  1. When I taught in a Montessori school, eggshell crushing was always a popular activity. And I hadn't heard of growing Luffa seeds - very cool! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. (If you could add the Montessori Monday button or link back, that would be awesome!) I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow

    ReplyDelete