Saturday, October 8, 2011

Pumpkin Carving



We picked up a pumpkin carving set at a rummage sale a few years ago and it has been the greatest thing to have around during pumpkin carving time.  The one we have is a bit like this one with the scrapper and saw and I love that they can hold the saw in their hands and actually make it cut something (just pumpkins! - hopefully).  It's always so gratifying to work with tools that do what they're supposed to do.  And certainly, to feel that gratification is especially important for these little people of ours who want so badly to do things on their own.  I just love watching their pursed lips and scrunched foreheads as they move that saw through the pumpkin with such determination.  And joy.  I should add here that I strongly believe the joy is coming directly from a thought I can so clearly hear them singing slowly to themselves over and over..."I can't believe she's letting us use these shaaaarp cutty-things..."

Up to this point only the pumpkins have sustained any serious injuries from the pumpkin saw.  
So, that's good.

No comments:

Post a Comment