Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Our big tree discovery


I had been searching the pages of every tree book we have to find out the name of the tree we saw with the big maroon flowers a couple of weeks ago.  At that time there weren't any leaves on it which made it difficult to identify.  I asked friends, parents of friends, friends of friends. I searched the Internet, Googling and Yahooing until I was totally out of search ideas.

Finally I thought "well, I guess I should go find that tree again and see if it has anything else to tell me".  LEAVES!  Finally, the leaves were starting to show.  They looked strangely familiar, but I still couldn't put my finger on it (now, this was all about to be very embarrassing for me, but I'll get to that in a minute.)

I loaded the pictures on the computer so I could show Andy.  "Hmmn" says he.  (snicker. snicker.  snicker.)  "Did you look up Paw Paw tree?"
"NOOOoooOOOOooo",  says me.  " I didn't!"

Do you think he was right?  Yes, of course he was right! Did he think it was HI-larious that his wife had just been looking up Paw Paw trees for the last several weeks (incidentally the same weeks she was trying to identify said Paw Paw tree) passionately proclaiming,  "we must MUST plant Paw Paw trees on our property because the trees are sooo this and the fruit is sooo that" and on and on and on.  Yes, he thought that was very amusing.

So, right, anyway, yup...
That's a Paw Paw tree there.  That's what that is.
Just so you know.

6 comments:

  1. I had never even heard about the paw paw tree, except the one in Africa, british english, calls the papaya paw paw. So whenever you have fruits, I 'd love to try (and I would be willing to help pick, as you know, I love picking fruit...)

    Also, I tried my cool soap again and it did wonders to Ellas cute shirt and Blueberry stain AGAIn... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh yes, thank you Anke. Your soap has arrived just in time for our blueberry pancake morning. I will be trying it out just as soon as i feel like doing the laundry....hmmn, whenever that may be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these flowers- we need to find out how to propogate them- I'm in for a few of them here too! So beautiful- they don't look real!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aunt lana and uncle LeonMay 14, 2009 at 7:26 AM

    Uncle Leon said he has eaten alot of Paw paw fruit, but I have not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jaime, you can always put the soap on the fabric and have the spot wet, let it do its work and wash it later, doesn't need to be right away...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anke - so then it's the perfect soap for laundry procrastinators like me. Thanks for the tip.

    Aunt Lana--the paw paw fruit is very tasty. You would like it I think. I'm not sure if this one will actually fruit out or not but if it does you will be the first person I call.

    Kristin--From what I've read, the best way to grow them is to start them from seed. I would be willing to try taking cuttings to see if it would work though.

    ReplyDelete